Peppers and their Nutrient Needs
Peppers require an ample supply of nutrients to grow well. Providing both macro and micro nutrients throughout the growing season is essential for optimal pepper production.
Achieving Balanced Nutrition
Balanced nutrition can be achieved by applying fertilizers in two ways: basal and foliar application.
Basal fertilizers, such as DAP, CAN, and NPK, are absorbed by the pepper plants through their roots. These fertilizers should be applied to the soil before planting or during early growth stages.
On the other hand, foliar feeds are sprayed onto the foliage of the plants and are absorbed through the leaves. Some examples of foliar feeds for peppers are OPTIMIZER, GOLDCHANCE, LAVENDER, and DIMIPHITE.
Considering Soil Organic Matter
The application of manure should be considered depending on the organic matter content in the soil. If the soil lacks organic matter, applying manure can be beneficial for the pepper crop.
Importance of Proper Nutrition for Peppers
Proper nutrition plays a crucial role in the growth and development of pepper crops. Here are some key benefits of providing adequate nutrition:
1. Establishing Early Growth: A well-nourished crop experiences good early growth.
2. Boosting Yield and Productivity: Proper nutrition enhances the overall yield and productivity of the pepper crop.
3. Ensuring Continued Strong Growth: Adequate nutrient supply supports the sustained growth of the plants.
4. Improving Fruit Set and Retention: Proper nutrition enhances the formation and retention of fruits, minimizing flower and fruit abortion, deformities, and storage issues.
5. Enhancing Vigor: Balanced nutrition boosts the vigor and vitality of the pepper plants.
6. Improving Fruit Quality: Adequate nutrients contribute to better fruit quality, including appearance, shape, flavor, and taste.
Fertilizer Application Schedule
To ensure optimal results, fertilizers should be applied at the right time and in the right amount, considering the growth stage of the pepper crop. It is important to avoid excessive application of nitrogenous fertilizers during flowering and fruiting stages.
Early Growth Stage
This stage refers to the period when the crop is in the nursery, transplanted, or just beginning to grow vigorously.
Proper nursery management is essential for raising healthy seedlings. To promote uniform germination and provide nutrients, drench the soil with OPTIMIZER at a rate of 20ml per 20 liters of water. Alternatively, seeds can be soaked in Optimizer overnight.
To minimize transplanting shock, spray seedlings with OPTIMIZER at a rate of 10ml per 20 liters of water.
In the second week after transplantation, spray newly transplanted seedlings with GOLDCHANCE SUPER START at a rate of 50g per 20 liters of water, or LAVENDER at a rate of 20ml per 20 liters of water, or PLANT SOUL at a rate of 40ml per 20 liters of water. These treatments aid root formation and promote early crop development.
DAP, which is rich in phosphorous, should be applied during this growth stage.
Vegetative Growth Stage
This stage occurs when the crop starts photosynthesizing and actively growing. At this time, the plants accumulate resources for future growth and development.
Spray the crop with GOLDCHANCE SUPER GROWTH at a rate of 50g per 20 liters of water, or LAVENDER at a rate of 20ml per 20 liters of water. These treatments, rich in nitrogen and other nutrients, encourage rapid foliage growth.
Top dress the soil with CAN or other nitrogenous basal fertilizers like N.P.K 23.23.0 to ensure an adequate nutrient supply.
Flowering, Fruit Set/Development & Maturity Stage
During this stage, the crop begins to form flower buds, flowers, and fruits.
Potassic fertilizers are highly recommended at this stage.
Spray the crop with GOLDCHANCE SUPER FLOWERS & FRUITS at a rate of 50g per 20 liters of water, or DIMIPHITE at a rate of 20ml per 20 liters of water, or LEGENDARY at a rate of 40ml per 20 liters of water, or GREENPHITE at a rate of 40ml per 20 liters of water.
To prevent Blossom End Rot, a condition that affects fruit quality, spray FERRARI GOLD at a rate of 60ml per 20 liters of water before the fruits form. This treatment supplies sufficient calcium and improves fruit skin for a longer shelf life.
To enhance fruit quality and size, spray VITABOR GOLD at a rate of 30ml per 20 liters of water and BIO DISTINCTION XTRA at a rate of 20ml per 20 liters of water.
Apply potassium-rich basal fertilizers like N.P.K 17.17.17.
Additional Tips and Recommendations
1. OPTIMIZER can be sprayed at any growth stage to boost crop immunity, manage stress, and improve overall performance.
2. When using basal fertilizers and manure, mix them with HUMIPOWER. Use 1kg of Humipower for every 50kg of fertilizer or 1 ton of manure. Humipower improves nutrient uptake, stimulates growth, and enhances soil structure.
3. When applying foliar sprays, always mix the foliar feed with INTEGRA at a rate of 3ml per 20 liters of water. INTEGRA acts as a sticker, spreader, and penetrant, improving the absorption of fertilizers by the crop’s foliage.
4. Regularly monitor crop performance and consider repeating foliar sprays on a weekly basis to ensure consistent nutrient supply.